Friday, May 04, 2007

fortune cookie for the codependent

Once every couple weeks, my friend DeDe and I visit our favorite Vietnamese restaurant for lunch. It was at this restaurant that I got what has to be to this day the dumbest, least fortune-like message ever. I'll never forget it because it said, I swear to god, "Let someone cut in front of you in traffic today."

Beg your pardon...? Not only is that not a "fortune" of any kind, it's also more or less a demand. No, "You should consider..." or "Your karma will be rewarded if you..." Just, "Let someone cut in front of you in traffic today." I still can't wrap my head around why that message passed the inspection of the manager of fortune cookie message composition. And I'd be willing to bet I went out of my way that day to not let anyone cut in front of me in traffic just out of spite.

However, I did receive a really good fortune this past week that was not only quite timely, but also nails a problem I've had for some time now. It read as follows...

"The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others."

Amen, fortune cookie. Somehow, I need to find a way to make this some sort of mantra for me for...well, as long as is necessary.

Oh, and if anyone plays the lottery…34, 21, 14, 25, 47, 36

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home