Monday, November 13, 2006

war machine

Most folks know wars can be profitable. But as with all other forms of commerce that we’re trying to deregulate, the industry itself becomes a machine which turns everything on its ear so that it controls us.

I’m sure we’ve been doing this for years...selling weapons to both sides of a conflict so long as they’re considered “allies.” (I’m sure we also sell to those considered enemies, just far more discretely.) I don’t know why I find it shocking that the rest of the world lets us get away with it. But, then, that’s one of the reasons we installed John Bolton in the U.N...to remove any official obstacles to challenge our actions.

US is Top Purveyor on Weapons Sales List

So the circle – for the time being – becomes unbroken. We make the weapons, we sell them to everyone with the money to buy. We sit back and watch the destruction, then we bid on the contracts to repair the infrastructure we helped demolish. And we encourage the hostilities to continue so that we may sell more weapons to destroy more essential services and property and bid on more contracts to repair more damage. Job security, I believe it’s called. (Some of the I.T. guys I work with do the same stuff, just on an obviously less harmful level.)

Not many folks would consider Motorhead lyrics intellectually stimulating, but Lemmy can write some good shit when he wants to. This article brings some to my mind...

“I march before a martyred world, an army for the fight
I speak of great heroic days, of victory and might
I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave
I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave
Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down

You standing beside this too, John Mellencamp...?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home