Saturday, November 11, 2006

purpose

Okay, so I read today a quote that perfectly sums up the motive that has driven my life for as long as I can remember. Well, except during the wasted years. Anyway, it is as follows....

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all.” – Arthur H. Prince

I agree with this completely. On the surface, it sounds a little harsh. But logic dictates that with those things come happiness.

Problem is, very few of us ever achieve that ideal. Myself, included. The closest I've come was about a year ago during my volunteer stints in Tylertown, Mississippi. But I still hope to reach the point where I can describe my life in those terms. The secondary - possibly larger - problem for me is that I'm pretty sure whenever I reach the end of the road (assuming I'm lucid and functioning) or a point at which the end of the road starts to come into sight, that I will feel my life has been wasted if that purpose has not been met.

One of the things I like least about myself is my tendency to see things very literally, and as being either very black or very white. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or opinions on the above quote and the concept it communicates...?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...the purpose/meaning of life. Some light reading today. I have some thoughts that I will attempt to get down hoping they make sense in print/type...

First, should we assume that everyone's purpose is the same?

Second, I think that one of our goals in life should be to be happy. Is that the same thing as a purpose? I don't know.

Third, I definitely agree that making a positive difference in the world should be a guiding philosophy behind our actions.

Fourth, we did awesome work in Tylertown. Do we have to be constantly doing something that matters or is doing it once in a while enough? And I'm not trying to flip, I really wonder. How much is enough? Maybe it's the amount that makes you feel good and satisfied and right with yourself.

I'm going to have to cut this short as one of our six rescued pets has landed on my lap and needs some love. Purpose...

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home